Sunday, October 18, 2009

Saying Good-bye....

I have dreaded this day since I met Jon. One of the first things Jon talked about the night I met him was his dog, Brandy. She was his "sibling" in a sense. She was his friend. This week, we had to tell Brandy goodbye. I can't say much about Brandy as a pup because I wasn't around then. One thing I remember Jon talking about was Brandy would always find a way to get what she wanted. A lot of times she wanted to sit in a particular chair, so she would drag something out and when he would get up to put it away she would jump up and claim the chair.
Brandy was 10 when she came to live with me and Jon. We had just gotten Butters and thought the two would instantly be best friends- that was not the case. They eventually warmed up to each other. Brandy always carried shoes around and would lay on them. Any time someone came to our house she would take their shoe and lay with it. She liked to beg any time you had food and used to jump up on the counters. (She ate an entire batch of Grandma Phyllis's cinnamon rolls and the ceran wrap they were wrapped in!!)
When used to take her and Butters out to the trail and she would run and run. She was so happy out there. When we brought Reagan home she pretty much ignored her. Eventually she fell in love with Reagan- especially when she ate! In the last 2 years she aged a lot. Jon would take her to run and when they would get home she wouldn't be able to walk for a day. We didn't think she would make it through last winter. But this year we didn't want her to. In the past few months she wasn't able to move well. She had a hard time getting up, hearing, seeing, and would get confused easily. Butters would stand by the door because he knew she needed to go out. She loved to lay in the middle of the kitchen. She would always be there when I was cooking and every time I would turn around she was there to pick up what I dropped. The kitchen is a little empty now....
Brandy Skylar Phoenix Remsburg was a wonderful dog- but she was so much more than that, especially for Jon. We loved her so much and miss her so much but know we made the right decision for her. On her last day she spent the morning with Jon and Reagan. She ate whatever she wanted. Jon took Reagan to my parents while I was at work. He walked Brandy one last time. When they got back she couldn't move. I came home to say goodbye and then I left- bawling... Dr. May came to our house and Jon held her and she went to sleep...
I bought a book called Dog Heaven to read to Reagan. I remember reading it to the boys I used to nanny for when they had to put their dog down. It is a good book and helps explain to kids in a way they understand. Reagan doesn't really understand,but she gets that Brandy is gone. Once in a while she will ask for her, and I remind her that she is in heaven with Tess (my parents dog-they just put her down last month). Reagan asks if she is running in heaven- I say yes she is!! Then Reagan blows a kiss and throws it up and says to the sky
"I yove you Brandy".... Here are some pictures to show how much she loved Brandy!
Reading to Brandy

Brandy and Butters

Hugs for Brandy

We love you and miss you so much ....

1 comment:

  1. We miss her too! Remsy is going to have to live forever, because it's too hard to even think about life without her- even though some days I could do without! : ) Dogs love you no matter what- that's the best thing about them!

    ReplyDelete