Monday, May 11, 2009

Where Have I been.....

Last Thursday after I put Reagan to bed I went downstairs to get on the computer and stepped down into a puddle. After a little investigating (and opening the storage room door) I found the source. Our sump pump had failed and the were water everywhere! (Of course this has to happen the day AFTER the plumber was at our house prepping to hook up a back up sump pump!) I called Jon to let him know what was going on, he had to work until 9 so he would not be able to do anything until he got home. So I called the Hollands (aka Best Neighbors Ever)and they came over, followed by the Fredericks and Albertsens! BEST NEIGHBORS EVER!!! Mark Holland messed with the sump pump and got some of the water to start draining. There was about an inch in the storage room and under the stairs, parts of the carpet were soaked (luckily not the majority), and other parts were just damp.
I went up to move the Denali out of the garage so we could start putting things out there and of course the battery was dead! So we had to push it our of the garage (which was not easy for me to steer and I about hit the garage). Everyone helped carry as much as we could out to the garage... it was quite the workout! Then we went downstairs and started soaking up water with wet/dry vacs and carpet cleaners. The plumber showed up and installed a new sump pump. Jon brought drinks home from work for everyone.
This is how you pay good help!! A few beers and A LOT of THANK YOUS!!!!

Draining water out of the window!

What a mess....

New sump pump...
All in all it was a pain in the a$$, but it could have been a lot worse. At least we got rid of 2 truck loads of crap we didn't even know we had! We think we will be able to save the carpet and maybe the pad. We have had fans and dehumidifiers going all week.
This situation just showed me again how much our neighbors mean to us. They all jumped in with no instruction, they carried boxes, moved stuff out of the way, drained water, vacuumed up water, checked on Reagan, and more. I can't thank them enough for all of their help!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I don't live by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me- I FEEL the pain of your basement. Tonight, we are FINALLY laying carpet back down. It's been a frickin' month- and a MESS!

    ReplyDelete